Search This Blog


Monday, April 19, 2010

Ft. Lauderdale = perfect prep for Ft. Davis.

While the rest of my team was doing some intense training in ATX the week before Ft. Davis, I was invited down to Ft. Lauderdale.   By now everyone in the cycling world is aware of the cutting edge training techniques emerging from top cycling squads in Cuba.  Cuban teams like Cohiba, Team Hospital Clinico Quirurgico and the now defunct National Biopreparations Centre Team
have been unleasing cycling powerhouses for years. 

This invitation was rare and a blessing so close to my "A" race of the season.  I was excited to get exposure to the top cycling coaches in the South East and epic, world renowned climbs of Ft. Lauderdale.  The climbs there are so monumental it has been rumored in recent years that in the months leading up to Le Tour, Team Milram flies secretly, via private jet, to Ft. Lauderdale.  Simply in an attempt to replicate the quad burning climbs of France. It's an obvious choice considering the "climbs" of Germany have been mocked in the peleton since the advent of the derailleur in 1899. That, and the sunkissed cheeks and flowing blonde locks of Team Captain Linus Gerdemann, allow the squad to train with out the threat of detection from local beach goers.

The climbs I encountered did not disappoint and my Cuban coach, Pablo Escobar, was not only impressed with my climbing form but also my state of the art cycling apparel.


Not surprisingly the bulk of my training time was spent sharpening my tan lines, getting my quads rubbed down by team massuer Jef D'hont and visiting close family friend, Michele Ferrari, for "B vitamin" injections.  I am confident if my actual cycling skills don't get me to the podium then at least my quad circumference will be intimidating enough to beat out some ladies in the finishing sprint.

No comments:

Post a Comment